- The consultants are brought in to solve a problem;
- The business users are excited that, finally, something is going to get done to fix the problem;
- The problem is discussed, a couple of quick suggestions and concepts are described and the business users are enthusiastic about the possibilities;
- The business users ask, "So, what are the next steps?"
- The IT manager says, "Well, we need to gather the requirements."
- The business users physically roll their eyes and slump back in their seats in anticipation of another snail-paced, IT boondoggle.
That's right, turn off your computer, put down your whiteboard markers, leave that sterile ivory tower and get onto the floor or out into the field!